Friday, March 30, 2007

Photography Contests


I've been entering various photography contests now for about four years. When I first decided to try to do something with my photography, The Photographer's Market recommended contests as a good way to get started. So I entered the Apogee Photo Magazine's bimonthly contest and I joined the now defunct online site, Digital Photo Contest. I learned quickly that my photography skills were a long way from being competitive. And I figured out pretty quickly that the nice little Olympus camera was not going to provide photos that would be competitive. It was a long time before I won my first POTD at the Digital Photo Contest, but I did start winning POTD's (Photo of the Day) at some of the other sites. I participated at sites like the The Digital Image Cafe. I learned so much from my participation there.

I joined NANPA (North American Nature Photographer's Association. Although I was winning POTD's at the websites, my first portfolio reviews with the professionals taught me that I still had a long way to go. But I got to hear and see work from such great professionals and I got to go to workshops. I just kept on learning and practicing.

I've entered some of the big nature photography contests before. And while I think I made it into the final round of judging one year at Nature's Best magazine - I did not make it any further.

This is the time of year to enter some of the biggest contests: the Shell BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year. Outdoor Photographer's Magazines, Vanishing Treasures Contest, and The Nature's Best Windland Smith Rice International Awards.

While I would love to win the Outdoor Photography Vanishing Treasure Contest for that trip to Churchill to see the polar bears, I would be ecstatic to just make it into the magazine and onto the website. The same is true for the BBC contest. I would be content with the lowest honorable mention or "commended image." I would just like at least one of my images to make the book and to be displayed at the National Gallery in London.

While I hope it does not "jinx" me, I've posted the photos I entered to the BBC contest this year. I know I have fellow photographers who read this blog. I would like to encourage you to enter these big contests as well. I always told my Girl Scouts that the one way to guarantee you won't win something or be chosen is not to enter.

Oh, and by the way, the Vanishing Treasures has a People's Choice vote. I think anyone can log on and vote. My images are buried, but if you have high speed internet, you may be able to check out the photos and vote for the wildlife or landscape photo you like the best.

No comments: