Friday, March 09, 2007

A Return to the Bosque

As we left Texas Canyon this morning, we discussed which of the several routes we could take to get to Amarillo. We decided to wait until we go closer to where the choices would have to be made.

We were going to be SO near Bosque del Apache . . . and it WAS on one of the more direct routes . . . . Henry agreed so we headed north at Las Cruces.

We got in to the Bosque Birdwatcher's RV Park mid afternoon. I made sure I had camera batteries, formatted cards, all my cables and camera equipment and we headed off to the refuge.

We were wondering which of the migratory birds would still be left. As we pulled into the auto loop I saw about four sandhill cranes in the sky in the distance - that was a good sign. As we travelled the south part of the loop - the Marsh Loop, we saw the pheasant that is common here, Canada geese, northern shovelers, pintails, coots, etc. As we entered the northern loop - the farm loop, there were no sandhill cranes in the open areas. Occasionally we would see a flock fly overhead. But they were in large groups, V-shaped groups - a migratory group rather than the family groups that fly around the refuge during the winter. At the far north end we found the remnant of the snow geese that were still here.

I've been trying to keep exercising on a more regular basis - so I decided to go up to one of the trails along the marsh loop - the marsh trail. The redwing blackbirds were the predominant sounds as I walked along the tall brush next to the marsh. I think I saw an Abert Towee, a new species for me if I correctly identified him.

Sunset was a beautiful colorful New Mexico sunset - beautiful golden beams lit the clouds, the earth's shadow to the east was a beautiful deep purple - even a sun pillar.

We made one last stop at the observation deck on the farm loop. No cranes, no snow geese. Henry could hear the geese off in the distance. All I heard was the occasional quack, quack quack, quack from the mallards.

I find that I get attached to places. The Bosque is one of those places I have grown attached to. It was good to be here again.

No comments: