Friday, March 02, 2007

Baby's First Swim




I got out fairly early this morning headed over to Children's Pool and the baby seals. Before I gathered my equipment I went over to the wall and looked over. Was that a placenta I saw near that mom? Yep . . . there had just been two seal births minutes before I arrived. Gathering my gear quickly, I went down as close as was reasonable to give the mom's plenty of space.

One of the moms was more active. She almost immediately began leading her pup down to the water. It took some coaxing because the baby was sleepy and was really searching for that special nursing spot. But mom persevered and soon the baby was in the water. I can say for a fact, baby seals are born knowing how to swim.



But mom is right there taking care of her baby.



Mom and baby both seemed to enjoy their time together in the water.



And after enjoying their swim, they made it safely back onto the beach. The baby seemed much more awake and alert.


For more in this sequence of photos, click here: Baby's First Swim

No comments: