Wednesday, March 14, 2007

"Night School"

Periodically I have a night where I just don't sleep well. Or at least it feels like I don't. Last night was one of those nights. I went to bed and was just slightly uncomfortable - my stomach wasn't upset . . . but it was not happy either. While I was probably more asleep than awake, I was not completely asleep either.

Some years back one of my Christian friends referred to nights like this as "night school." I have several things and people in my life that have important prayer needs right now - and their names kept going through my mind. Usually I don't try to pray about important things right before I go to sleep, because it gets my mind churning. I find myself worrying about what I'm praying about rather than releasing it. And, yes, perhaps some of these "worries" contributed to my sleeplessness last night.

But last night, after I had mentally gone through the list of people in my life that I'm praying for, I fell asleep. So perhaps that was God's way of "reminding" me to bring my worries and anxieties to him.

No comments: