Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Carnival

Debra has a friend who is working for a carnival. They are set up in Round Rock at the Dell Diamond. So, naturally, Debra wanted me to come and enjoy the carnival with her. Now it's been a long time since I've been to a carnival with a midway. It was a nice, comfortable evening, temperature perfect, gentle breeze, etc. While the hang gliding ride and I did not quite hit it off (my anatomy and size provoked an OUCH from my back when they tried to attach the tie downs. But later in the evening I enjoyed watching Debra "fly" high and free. Moby Dick involved going up and down in big ovals, with a minor gut wrenching drop each time around. They had a cute dragon ride whose sole purpose is for to see how fast you can spin your dragon while going around the post - a sure recipe for dizziness! We watched two ten year old boys who could really get their dragon spinning at high speed! I think the Ferris wheel was my favorite ride - beautiful right at sunset looking to the west. For two of the rides we ended up being paired with two 8 or 9 year old girls who needed someone to ride with. Turns out it was the same girls for both the bumper cars and the small roller coaster.

What struck me was the variety of people who came to enjoy the carnival. Mothers and dads with small children, teenagers with their friends. You could buy arm bands for $15.00 which gave you entry to any of the rides all evening. And, of course, there were the game booths and food booths.

When I got home, I looked up the Thomas Carnival on the internet. Since the Thomas Carnival's home base is in south Austin near where we used to live, I've been familiar with it a long time. It was interesting to note that it was founded in 1928 by Art B. Thomas whose goal was to "provide clean, safe, and wholesome family entertainment for its customers." How appropriate for today when even a trip to a movie theatre with your family can end up exposing kids to things you might rather they not see in terms of posters advertizing "R" rated movies, even "family" movies where the kids use words I did not allow my children to use. And no, I'm not against movies, I go see them, sometimes even "R" ones. But going to the carnival brought back good memories from my childhood. The fun was simple and wholesome. What an unexpected treat!

To visit the Thomas Carnival, check out their calendar.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Fun!