Thursday, June 29, 2006

San Diego Wildlife Park

Never having made it to the larger San Diego Wild Animal Park - it was on my list. It was Henry's last day of freedom before moving day and his final preparations for the con. I gave him every opportunity to back out, but he was interested. I definitely debated leaving the camera gear behind and just going out to enjoy the park. Wisely, Henry encouraged me to go ahead and bring it. He started the day carrying my tripod. I'm trying very hard to carry my own gear - even the heavy lens and tripod. I do go out on excursions without Henry - I need to be able to manipulate my own equipment. By making it a practice to carry my own stuff around, I feel like I am building endurance for those days when I have to hike and haul it.

The Wildlife Park is 25-30 miles north of San Diego - off I-15. We left earlier than the day before, but it is far enough from the coast that it was already hot. Walking on concrete walkways the day before left my calves stiff and uncooperative.

I headed us toward the Wgasa Bush Line Railway system. Well, it looks like a rail, but there is only one rail - like those car rides that you "control", but it keeps you on the track. Thankfully there was not a long line and we got on quickly. As I read the literature, I had noted that you can Sleepover at the zoo.

We passed close to the safari tents - yes, they appealed to me. Yes they are tents, but they have decent enough looking beds. The sitting area around the tents overlooks the large animal enclosures. You would go to bed and wake up hearing these magnificent animals. Because of the proximity of the Kilimanjaro Safari walk, I'm wondering if you are allowed to take the walk in the early morning when the animals are more active. As we went around the park on the rail - I could see the tracks where the Photo Caravan Safari takes you. That also would be on my list if I get to come back. While you are standing the entire time, you are actually with the animals. Some great photo opportunities!


This photo is an overview from the rail. You can see the safari tents in the distance and the track for the Photo Caravan Safari. I enjoyed the train ride, but the large paddocks seem to be in the process of being redone. Some areas had large areas of bare dirt that was being shaped for future grass. They told us that they are also redoing the routing of the "train." We were on the original track. They are expanding it into two routes and will eventually pull up the rail route we were on.


It was impressive to see a number of rhinos soaking themselves in their ponds. They are planning to preserve the California wildlands and native grasses and trees on the hills - so there is probably a limited amount of future development for more large enclosures. We were too far away from most of the large animals - and the animals we passed more closely were more in fenced enclosures. Not great for photography.

The brochures and signs touted this open area as a trip to Africa. Hum . . . . yes, the animals are right, but the vegetation and terrain don't match my inner view of Africa. With friends living in Africa right now, a real visit to Africa (Zambia to be precise) is in my dreaming process. With God's provision, I hope to make it there sometime in the next couple of years - both to teach ladies' Bible class (with a translator) and to take some genuine African wildlife photos.

No comments: