Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Koalas - and other Australian marsupials



When I brought Thomas to this zoo as a small child, San Diego was the only place to see Koala bears. I remember seeing one - in his tree sound asleep. The breeding program must be working well. There were four sleeping koalas in their trees and four more sleeping on treelike platforms behind glass. There was also a ever so cute marsupial with her baby looking out of his pouch. The setting and background will prevent this photo from winning a prize . . . but the shots are keepers - CUTE baby!

The bus guide told us that koalas sleep all day because their primary food, eucalyptus leaves are toxic. They need to rest to be able to tolerate the toxins. Hum . . . . . I'm having trouble getting my brain wrapped around the idea that the only thing they eat is also poisonous. Once again, I'm hanging around, this time not only because I'm tired and moving isn't fun, but because I'm interested in the animals here. I'm rewarded when one of the outdoor koalas rouses and begins to forage on the convenient eucalyptus leaves around him. A faint familiar eucalyptus aroma brushes the air.

I'm even lucky enough to catch a shot of one of the indoor koalas in the one second his eyes are open. Background - what background - it is a beige wall - he is on a platform - nothing natural. Maybe someday, I'll attempt a digital art piece with this shot of a koala that appears awake and alert.

No comments: