Thursday, June 14, 2007

Grizzly Watching - Part 2

Today was "moving day." We moved from Fishing Bridge RV Park over to Pebble Creek Campground. We decided to drive separately so I could take advantage of any wildlife sightings along the way. I found the harlequin ducks (more in a separate blog). But I was really planning to make only a few stops and get over to enjoy the Lamar Valley. As I came up to Mount Washburn, I could see the grizzly sow and her cubs. The were on the west side of the road in the morning light. I pulled over to enjoy them. As the cars came and went, I saw a better parking place and she seemed to be working her way in my direction, so I decided to set up. I had my tripod and big lens where I could just step out of the car or even sit in the seat and photograph her. I kept thinking, "I really was not planning to do this today." But I had a great position - I was there before the crowds. At one point when she was just above me high on the slope, I was surrounded by people who were enjoying watching her even at that distance. They were using the hood of the jeep to stabilize their binoculars. Even the male voices were amazed at how cute the cubs were.
She moved on south and the people dispersed and went on their way to see something else. I had cookies and a Dr. Pepper. I saw other people with big lenses hanging around. At one point she came bounding down with her cubs in hot pursuit and then settled into grubbing. It was so much fun to watch her dig out a hole and see the cubs find the goodies. The cubs were doing a good job on their own turning over rocks and eating the grubs.




Then she dug a little bit, the cubs had settled down. Soon they were all asleep on the slope. They were in plain view so there was still a good crowd watching them. I've still got a great location for viewing and photographing, so I decide to wait. She stirs occasionally when a car is loud, but she is stretched out and very relaxed.
Eventually, the cubs start moving around and mom gets up. They start grubbing, but they are definitely working their way down hill. My position is still good. I take off the 1.4 teleconverter I've been using, hoping for cleaner shots. Another photographer sets up behind my jeep and checks on what part of Texas I'm from. It turns out he was from Texas as well (more on that later.) She's getting closer, so my attention needs to stay on her.



All of a sudden she starts running with the cubs. She's coming my way. Click . . ., click . . . click . . . click, click, click. Everyone around me is gasping, "She's coming our way . . . Oh, my . . . Stay still . . . " There is definitely tension and some real fear because she is crossing the road right through the people and the cars. I've gotten her bounding down the hill. Now I'm watching to see where she appears on the road.



There's her head peeking around the car. My photos show that her teeth are bared - that's a feral expression on her face.




She looks around quickly and leads her cubs quickly across the road. I've been pretty comfortable through all this, because I've been sitting in the jeep seat or standing right next to it with both a car door and a big tripod between me and her. I know I've gotten my shots for the day. I try to lug my lens set up to get some shots of her below, but there are too many people - no place for me to set up.





And then all of a sudden she is back on the uphill side, rapidly heading up hill. I get off a few more shots, but she is rapidly heading to the safety of the high slope far away from all those pesky humans. The crowd breaks up. I discover that Thomas Mangelsen has parked just across the parking lot from me. He was positioned downhill from where I was. He may have gotten a better shot of her second crossing, but I suspect I was better positioned for the downhill charge. This is the second time I have happened to be at the same place at the same time with him. Pretty amazing. It will be interesting to see if any of his shots end up as prints for me to compare my shots with.
I did not feel as frustrated with this shoot because I was positioned early. It was sheer luck or providence that the grizzly headed down so near my position. But the other amazing and scary part, sometime around the naptime, the rangers left. There was no-one directing traffic or insuring her a safe passage across the road. No wonder she came charging across. There is always an interesting mix of people at the bear sightings. Tourists families eager to see their first grizzly. Veteran bear watchers who have a little clue what to expect and are careful where they position themselves. Every range of photographer from the point and shoot to the really professionals with the huge lenses. Some of the cameras are so small, I know that the bear will be a very small speck in the picture, but is THEIR bear photo, a remembrance of what they saw. With my Sigma 300-800mm I don't have lens envy any more. I will either get the shot or I won't. I still have to check those histograms for blown out highlights and proper exposure. I still have to hope I've got the image sharp enough, a quick enough shutter speed to catch the action.
One of the most fascinating things about today's bear shoot was that Mangelsen as well as several other well known photographers were all out mid-day trying to get their bear shots. Sure is breaking the rule that professionals only shoot in the early morning and the late afternoon. But . . . the bears don't know that rule. So I guess to get the bear photos you have to shoot when the bears are out!

No comments: