Monday, June 25, 2007

Yellowstone's Harlequin Ducks


We happened to visit with a couple who were just learning birding. They mentioned seeing the Harlequin ducks at LeHardy's Rapids. While we were staying at Fishing Bridge we passed them every day. I stopped one day and looked for them, but did not see them. My first thought was how powerful and swift running the water was. I could see a few birds in the smoother flowing waters, but none of them matched the photos of the Harlequins. Having limited time left in the park, I was not too worried about having missed them.

However, one of the photographers I had met mentioned that I should be sure to go see the Harlequins. Apparently they are only in Yellowstone a short time each year. Also, this was at the far end of their range. I mentioned that I had tried but had not seen them. He told me where to look. To my surprise the Harlequins prefer the swift turbulent waters. He told me that usually four drakes hung out on one of the rocks.

On the day we moved from Fishing Bridge over to Pebble Creek, I stopped again at LeHardy Rapids. Sure enough, there they were sitting on the rock.

Further research showed me that their range is very limited. They are found along the coast in Canada. The Atlantic population is considered endangered with only about 1000 known individuals. Yellowstone is on the far southern range. I was lucky to get to see them. They spend their winters on the coast choosing areas where the water is turbulent. They go inland to fast running streams in forests to breed. They walk along the bottom of these turbulent streams searching for the larvae of flying insects. Along the ocean, they dive into the water near rocks where the waves are crashing searching for crabs, mussels, and fish eggs.

What a fascinating bird!

No comments: