Thursday, June 21, 2007

Seeing the Moose

We kept hearing both in Yellowstone and Grand Teton how rare moose sightings have been this year. On other trips we saw moose regularly in Yellowstone. There was almost always a moose up in the northeast corner. This year we saw a moose once up there. We also saw a bull moose at Floating Island lake splashing through the water. Neither sighting was very conducive for a great photo so I passed. We also remember seeing a moose the first night we pulled into Grand Teton on our way to Yellowstone. While there was quite a moose jam, I wasn't impressed with the sighting as all I could see was the rump through the thick trees.

We spent the last two nights in Grand Teton National Park. Last night there was a crowd of people at the Oxbow overlook. The common theme was they all were hoping to see moose.

I was tired last night, I'd already seen my moose, so I was just enjoying watching the beaver, the muskrat, and possibly an otter swim around the calm river waters. One family came over and asked me what everyone was seeing. I pointed out the elk in the meadow, I mentioned the sandhill crane which were out of sight, the beaver, the muskrat,etc. One pereson was trying to find moose among the elk. I mentioned that the moose would be over by the river. She questioned whether I was "local" and wanted to know why I thought that. I commented that the sagebrush was elk habitat - they preferred the dry grasses. Moose like aquatic moist plants, so they are generally found closer to a water source.

Some kayakers did see moose on their boat excursion. They had some great shots as well - beautifully backlit.

On the way back to the RV, there was a real moose jam. Yes, it took binoculars to get a good luck, but it was definitely a female moose amongst the willows. Then this morning while we were doing our internet work at the Oxbow overlook, Henry said, "Moose!" I only caught a glimpse as the moose finished crossing the water and disappeared into the tall willows. Although we kept looking, it stayed hidden. We knew it was there, but no one could see it.

Makes you wonder how many animals we pass by every day that are "hidden" near us.

No comments: