Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Animals and human rehabilitation

As many of you know, my mother-in-law has recently entered a skilled nursing rehab facility. At the entrance to the building is a fairly large finch aviary. There are maybe 15-20 finches of various species. There are cute nesting baskets, perches, and toys for them. There is always activity in the aviary - preening, snuggling, feeding, flying, entering and exiting the nesting baskets, etc.

I took my mother-in-law down there twice. She was fascinated with the birds. Another resident rolled himself up. Turns out he goes there twice a day. The women that share the dining table with Evelyn also talk like they enjoy those birds.

It is restful, it is calming, and it is a connection to the real world to watch these birds.

It is a fairly long wheel chair push to get to the birds, I have to agree with my brother-in-law, I wish they had this in each of the common areas, so that it would be easier for everyone to get that few moments a day watching the birds.

I bet tropical fish might have a similar positive, calming effect.

No comments: