Saturday, April 21, 2007

The Bluebird Saga



Since I found the dead babies, I had not been seeing the bluebirds. Last year I had them a brief while and when they left they did not return. So I was resigned that perhaps next year would be the year for a successful nest.










As with everyone, my life has its ups and downs. On Monday and Tuesday, I was disturbed by some things. It is never fun to be angry with God . . . but I was a little. On one level, I know that God is faithful and in the long run "all things work for the good of those who love the Lord (Romans 8:28). But I was in a blue mood. I had memories from events in my childhood where things had not worked out well in the long term. I was struggling with faith issues. I even finished all the tax returns and had them mailed on time. That should have had me leaping for joy, but instead I was in a blue, weary, grumpy, state. Even the weather did not help, Tuesday was overcast, dreary, with some occasional rain.

But Wednesday came and with it sunshine and . . . . BLUEBIRDS!!!!! It was like a ray of sunshine or a rainbow for me. I got news that the situation I was worried about had resolved in ways better than I could have ever hoped for. Relationships were restored and taken to a higher level. I could not help but consider my bluebirds in the role of the "Bluebird of Happiness."
























They even seemed to be finding the mealy worms that I had placed on the fence posts. Both the male and the female were going in and out of the nesting box. I was glad that I had cleaned it out. My entire day was filled with the good things in my life - a wonderful day!


My time at home is growing short and I'm making sure I have time on the porch. But since Wednesday I have only seen the male bluebird. I pulled out my camera Thursday and finally have photos of "my" bluebird." I have been delighted to finally see him eat the mealy worms that I set out every day. But that joy is tinged with some grief. He is alone. I am not seeing the female.













I see him go in and out of the birdhouse. I see him eat mealy worms. And I watch him stand on the birdhouse and call.












He will sing and























then tilt his head as though trying hard to hear a reply.

I've checked the box . . . no new nesting material. He is definitely hanging around. But it takes two to tango. I can't help but wonder if this is a different male. Is he singing to reunite with his mate? Is he trying to say "I've found home, it’s a great place, lots of mealy worms . . . I'm attractive . . . I'll sing to you . . . I've got this great place to welcome you . . . come live with me . . . "

We leave next week. I won't be around to put out the mealy worms. I'm trying to see if my neighbor would put out suet treats along that fence line in hopes of keeping the bluebird in our area. I'll gladly move the nesting box that the house sparrows are trying to steal to make it easy for my neighbors to enjoy the bluebirds.

But on the long term, I'm still hopeful that some day I'll need to buy more bluebird homes to accommodate all the bluebirds that will be in my yard. Years and years ago, I planted bluebonnet seeds in my yard - some along the roadway some in the yard. A couple of years ago I added to the ones on the road. Through the years they have grown, bloomed, and multiplied. Last year they were thick going along the road about halfway down my propery line. This year they were the thickest and prettiest ever. But it took several years. I will be patient.

No comments: