Wednesday, October 06, 2010

North Point Light, Milwaukee



As we were studying the map as we explored Milwaukee, I saw North Point Lighthouse.  Since I am fascinated with lighthouses, naturally I had to go find it and try to photograph it.  Over time, trees have grown up around it, making it a challenge to photograph, especially since we weren't going to have a lot of time in Milwaukee.

I figured that I would need to combine multiple exposures to get something I would be happy with.  The "front" up able had the deep shadows from the western sun filtering through the trees.  The "back" below was backlit.



The original lighthouse was built in 1855. Shore erosion in the 1870's required a new lighthouse to be constructed.  Finished in 1887, it was first lit in January, 1888.  Beautiful Lake Park was being planned around North Point Lighthouse.  As the trees grew in the park, they obscured the light and the U.S. government discontinued funding in 1907.  In 1909, money was funded to raise the tower and the work building an additional 35 feet was finished in 1913, making the tower 74 feet high. 

I went back after dark to see if the night lights would create still another view, but at least the night I was there, the lighting wasn't dramatic. 

This lighthouse is in such a pretty setting, I felt it well worth my time to stop, photograph, and enjoy seeing it.

No comments: