Monday, March 30, 2009

Mount Redoubt - more photos

On one level, I wish I could be in Alaska right now. I'd want to be on the opposite side of Cook Inlet so I could get a chance to get some of these amazing lighting shots. In my more "right mind," I know that people who study and photograph volcanoes have inherently dangerous jobs and there have been fatalities over the years. So it is probably just as well that I'm still home in Texas and I can enjoy the photographs of this volcano from the safety of my home. But we've driven that road from Anchorage to Homer . . . I can picture this in my mind's eye . . .

Since watching nature's forces is amazing and very interesting to me, I've been watching the images coming from the Alaska Volcano Observatory regularly this week. There are 17 pages of images so far.

On March 28, Bretwood Higman captured an amazing series of lighting shots in the ash cloud:




Today's images from the Alaska Volcano Observatory Webcame are beautiful as well:





It will be interesting to see how long this eruptive phase lasts.

No comments: