Wednesday, May 02, 2007



This morning as I looked out the RV window, I noticed a couple of birds coming out of the brush. One was staying very close to the other one . . . and then all of a sudden I realized I was seeing a mother curve billed thrasher and her baby! Needless to say I was excited! I had not unpacked the camera gear yet, so in order not to startle the birds, I asked Henry to get my camera . . . and the green camera backpack. i could not move fast enough fearing they would leave abruptly. Quickly I threw on the 100-400 lens. I grabbed a compact flash card, checked the battery strength and changed batteries. Knowing it was cloudy, i set the ISO to 1000. And then I started photographing through the front window of the RV.

While I never had the camera angle that I had with the binoculars, I was able to get a few shots. I kept hoping to get the shot I'd seen with the baby facing me with that wide open begging mouth. This baby bird was behaving like the finch babies I saw last summer. It would crouch down, flutter its wings, and open its mouth wide to beg mom for food.




Hope you enjoy the photos of this sweet baby!

No comments: