Saturday, May 05, 2007

Important Dates

I don't know about you, but I'm always missing birthdays. They sneak up on me. I realize I've missed them a couple of days after the fact.

I've tried several systems. I had a calendar program once that was supposed to give me an "alert." It worked the first year, but it did not repeat. I had a Franklin Covey yearly planner. I wrote down all the birthdays on it. But that has to be repeated every year.

My mother-in-law has a special birthday book with a lot of important family dates as well as birthdays in it. It has birthdays, anniversaries, and even date of death recorded. I'd gone through that book before and entered the information into my planner. But then when I'd replace the planner pages for the next year, I would forget or not have time to enter all the dates again.

We're in Amarillo right now and I decided to try my ICal. I spent a couple of hours entering all the data. Marking the birthdays and anniversaries to repeat yearly. I have not yet gone back in to set the alarms for all of the living people's birthdays. Plus I need to go in and add some of my friends to this calendar.

I found out that I can export the ICal in a format to set up a Google calendar. I then set it up to share this calendar with other family members. I'll be adding the events that we will be going to.

I have not figured out how to synchronize the ICal and the Google calendars - so I guess for now I'll just post in both places. But I also found out that I can "publish" my ICal.

No comments: