Wednesday, September 27, 2006

New York - Day 1

Well, I made it to New York. I want to tell some of the good people stories that I'ved already experienced. We flew into Islip. We found out as we were waiting for the train shuttle that we had missed the 4:45 train Ronkonkamo into Penn Station. The next one did not leave until 7:00. We had tickets for Phantom of the Opera at 8:00. I was concerned . . When the next shuttle came, the bus driver repeated the problem, but had another train station that he could get us to for just a little more money. We would depart at 5:45. He gave a running commentary of the house prices (whew I won't be buying property here).

Then after we changed trains at Babylon station, another kind gentleman offered and did put my larger bag up high out of the way. And then as he was departing the train, he asked again, and took it down for me. I was very grateful.

As we were leaving the train at Penn Station, I headed us toward the handicap exit as we were carrying baggage. One person tried to tell us it would not work. But I persevered folloing the handicap signs and sure enough there was a working elevator. It was closing, but the lady saw me and held it while my friends and I got on. Then she saw our hesitation as to which route to exit, and told us to follow her. In doing so we made it all the way to street level without having to walk our luggage up stairs - definitely an angel in disguise. I sure want to remember that entrance (it's on the east side) because you can go up and down on escalators. Last year I hauled baggage up and down stairs. (Or more accurately I hauled it up when I came into town. A nice stranger hauled it down when I went back to the train station to leave.)

We did have to hustle, we were a few minutes late to Phantom of the Opera. We went and ate at my traditional after play restaurant, Roxy's.

It has been a good first day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it safely to New York. It is always amazing how many nice people there are in the world. I'm pleased so many of them found you.