Monday, September 04, 2006

Baby Birds


I've had bird feeders out for a number of years now. This year we've been home during the summer. I've kept the feeders going. This past month I've been rewarded by seeing the fledged baby birds coming with their parents to the feeders. Not only are they "cute," but watching the interaction is fun. One of the first babies I noticed was a baby cardinal. The baby was on the ground, fluttering his wings begging his mom for food. I saw this same behavior this past week only with finches. The baby was on a branch, fluttering those wings (trying to look helpless????) with his beak open.



And, of course, mom fed it. However, it was not too long before the baby flew down and started feeding himself from the feeder. Not so "helpless" after all.

No comments: