Sunday, September 17, 2006

Dragonfly Field Trip

Roseate Skimmer

Checkered Setwing

Dr. Abbott took us out in the field at the Brackenridge Field Laboratory. While the day was warm and muggy, I very much enjoyed walking around. I brought my camera and tripod rather than binoculars. While I was out there, I was regretting the decision because it was heavy and awkward to lug around. Binoculars seemed the better and lighter choice. And I did not have the close focus binoculars. Dr. Abbott took pity on me and loaned me his binoculars. At first the dragonflies were too far away for the equipment I brought. But because I am a photographer at heart, I did take a few photos. I'm glad now I did. Some of them came out better than I expected.






We got to see a dragonfly naiad emerging. When we first saw him, he was coming out of the exoskeleteon. With the photos you can see him blowing up his wings.


The pictures were taken just a few minutes apart.


















Another recently emerged naiad in the same concrete pond, blowing up his wings.

No comments: