Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Zimbabwe

As we travelled through Africa, we heard tales about Zimbabwe.

Before we left, Henry had noted that there were travel advisories about Zimbabwe and at one point it looked like we would enter Zimbabwe.

We also knew that there were many refuges from Zimbabwe in Johannesburg - more than the infrastructure can support.

I confess that I only know a little bit about the politics in the southern parts of Africa. My geography dates back from high school and all the countries have changed their names and their political structures since then.

But Zimbabwe is especially sad. They went from being a prosperous country to being one of the poorest in the world. Part of me does not understand how that can happen so quickly.

I found an article today in the Los Angeles Times that talks a little bit about the current issues in Zimbabwe.

No comments: