Wednesday, October 10, 2007

African Coffee

One of the things that surprised me was the coffee in Africa. I can't quantify or describe the difference very well, but the coffee tasted different in Africa. It was richer, fuller, more robust in a subtle way. When you added milk it did not "lighten" as much as when you would add the same amount of milk in the states. Of course, the milk there has a higher fat content - much more creamy.

I'd been wanting to see if I could figure out how to make coffee that would taste the same, so I bought a coffee press yesterday and some fresh ground African coffee from Starbucks. Debra asked the Starbucks people and apparently when you use the coffee press you get more of the oils from the coffee beans.

Well . . . my first two attempts with the coffee press were dismal failures. The first batch I had used way to much coffee. Strong . . . way too strong. I tried again, but that strong flavor from the first batch was still in my mouth.

I've heard there is a coffee place near Brentwood Oaks that makes coffee that tastes like African coffee. I'll definitely try that as well as continuing my trial and error experiments at home.

No comments: