Friday, November 24, 2006

Thanksgiving

For me, Thanksgiving is a celebration about family. My favorite Thanksgivings have been when we've been with a group of people.

My first Thanksgiving as a married lady was spent with one of Henry's friends, Scott Cupp. My mother had never cooked a turkey in my growing up years. So I learned that year how to prepare a Thanksgiving feast. To this day, I make my dressing the way Lee Cupp did. And my children told me this year that this is the way they like their dressing.

Henry's family lives 500 miles away from us, so most Thanksgivings we did not try to go home. But when we did, I have special memories. Those memories of Grandma Wheeler, Mary's kids when they were young, Martha's kids. My mom even came over for Thanksgiving for them a few times. One Thanksgiving we celebrated with my friend Jeanette and her extended family in Oklahoma City. One year we went and had Thanksgiving with Debra out in California.

A couple of years ago we visited with Debra before Thanksgiving and spent Thanksgiving Day in Death Valley. We watched the campers all around us trying to have a turkey dinner in their campers.

Last year Thanksgiving was a little different. Henry's dad had just gotten out of the hospital and was still very ill. Most of the family converged in Amarillo. Thanksgiving was at my niece's house. The fried turkey was a hit - very moist and tasty. But it was so special to be with family . . . .

This year was special as well. While a smaller group, just Henry and me, Thomas, Jonathan and Debra. A simpler meal, but still turkey and all the fixin's. With Thomas around, watching a football game is a given. And then a movie that Debra wanted me to see.

And much to be grateful for . . . . Debra's special husband Jonathan, Henry's dad is still with us and healthier than last year, Thomas was able to be home with us, my recent photographic victories, several answers to prayers . . .

It was a good Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad you had a good Thanksgiving. We enjoyed our visit with Chelsea. We cheated this year and ate our turkey with all the fixin's at Cracker Barrel. I have to say it was nearly as good as what we usually have. White meat of course and we all prefer dark but the sides were great.
The next day we went to the zoo and tried to walk off some of those calories.
I got another book off to Holly yesterday (Sunday) and she has given me a list of book she'd like me to write for her.
Ginjer is talking to her about a book so she is a happy camper.
Let me know next time you are in town and have a bit of time to do lunch.