Friday, November 03, 2006

The Hubbard Museum

Located in Ruidoso, New Mexico, the Hubbard Museum is a high quality museum dedicated to the American West. Each year they have a Fall Photo Exhibition. This is my fourth year to enter and my third year to have photos displayed. This is the first time I've gone to the Awards Ceremony and Reception. It was well worth the extra trip to New Mexico.

Most of the year, I work on my photos, submit some to the online contests, some to magazine contest, some now to stock agencies, and some to magazines as submissions. I have always gotten kind encouraging comments from the websites. But I'm finding that when I print out a photo and mat it and mount it in a larger size (13X19), it becomes "real" in a different way. And certainly being at an event and hearing people talk about your photo both before and after they know that you were the photographer has been very gratifying.

And the Hubbard Museum made a very nice event out of this. They had all the pictures so beautifully displayed, they had painted the walls this year in a darker tone that really made the photos stand out. And each photo had track lighting that brought out the best in each one. They served an excellent buffet and had high tables for us to eat at.

The City now manages the museum, so the Mayor and Mayor pro tem were there. I got to meet the directors of the museum and the exhibit. Turned out I had another photo that almost made the exhibit.

But I was pleased with the choices that hung on the walls. Most of the people photos really represented the American West theme. It was an impressive array of photos to be a part of.

It has been a good evening for me.

No comments: