Friday, January 11, 2008

January in Central Texas

This January is proving to be the exception, but generally, January in Central Texas is chilly (not really cold), cloudy, and dreary. I've learned that my body needs sunlight. When days stay cloudy and dreary, my body wants to hibernate. I've learned not to have high expectations for my productivity in January, because I'm just not as efficient.

About seven or eight years ago, I learned part of the physiological reasons. There is even a name for it: Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). Wikipedia and Mayo Clinic.com have some good information.

For myself, I think it is worse in Central Texas than farther north because we don't have the bitter cold. I think that getting out and doing things where it is very cold and snowy gets the blood moving and for helps counteract the effects.

This year, I have several projects going that I seem to be making headway on. But I've also had a cloudy mental disposition, prone to discouragement that I am suspecting is part of this year's SAD symptoms.

While I still have these projects that need to be done, I try to be gentle on myself in January-knowing that I'm not as quick at getting things done. And, one of my mental mantras: " It truly WILL be better in February and March when the sun is out longer in the day. Be patient, concentrate on the tasks for today, the rest will take care of itself."

Unfortunately my tasks right now are indoors. But I am trying to spend some time each day out in the life giving sunlight.

No comments: