Tuesday, January 02, 2007

New Beginnings

While January 1st is just an arbitrary date on a calendar, it is a good benchmark for a new start, a new beginning. Each year I find myself using it as a date to begin a new goal, whether weight loss or homemanagement, or photography. December 31st is a good time for reflection on how the "old" year went and what could have been done better.

For me 2006 was a pretty good year. I was successful in getting several photos published. I had two photos in the North American Nature Photographer's (NANPA) Annual Showcase. Two photos appeared in Texas Highways magazine. I had photos exhibited both at the Hubbard Museum and at the Festival of the Cranes and I "placed" at each event. In January I'll have photos that will be exhibited in Toronto. While I still have not sold any photos through stock, I am now represented by three stock agencies. My job for 2007 will be to get more images uploaded or sent to each place. I have many images that just need the final workup to send.

In 2007, I need to focus more on my weight and physical conditioning. I did better in 2005 than in 2006. At my age every pound makes a difference in my mobility. So a major goal in 2007 will be to at least get back to the weight I was in December 2005. The physcial conditioning is also important because hiking and carrying my photo gear is critical to getting some of the images I want.

I also have some long term goals around the house that have been neglected due to the travel schedule. I have found that by having a monthly scheduling book that I have a visual record of what I need to do and a way of judging whether I am actually getting things done. I looked back at December's specific tasks and I had completed all of them. But Christmas activities and preparation eat up a lot of time in December. I still have photos in my camera from early December . . . .

Spiritual life is also an important component. Two different lessons at church have been about judging how you are growing spiritually - one about personal spiritual growth, the other about what you are doing to make your congregation a better place. Even with the travel, I do have a home congregation. When we get back in town, I just slide right back into the swing of things. But I don't do as much overall as when we were home all the time. Chorus and Care Groups are the big things that I can still participate in. This year it is unlikely that I will make the Ladies' Retreat. I am still likely to be in California. I am hoping that I get to go to the Family Retreat in April. While I don't get quiet time every day in the year, it is an important part of my daily routine.

While there are always regrets about things that did not work out as well over the year, I think it is more important to focus on the positive. Learning to accept who you are, knowing that God created you as a unique individual with unique strengths and weaknesses frees you and enables you to grow in the ways where God is guiding you. Never from guilt rather through joy.

I'm looking forward to the opportunities that 2007 will present.

No comments: