Thursday, January 18, 2007

The Fun Filled Digital Photography World of Rick Sammon

At the Opening Session of the North American Nature Photographers 2007 Summit, we were treated to a wonderful presentation by Rick Sammon. It was amazing how quickly he drew us into his photos and gave us an amazing everything you ever wanted to know about photography session in just one hour.

Useful information:

1. Fill the frame . . .
2. Be creative. He shoots both scientifically where you don't want to do digital enhancement and he shoots for creative art. Since I found that to be an issue at one of my portfolio reviews - I was glad to hear his viewpoint and that he seems to have been successful using both philosophies.
3. Shoot the "big picture." This is one of my failings - I get caught up in the details and then don't get the entire scene. He shoots verticals, horizontals, closeups, wide frames. He shoots the nature part of the scene, but also the human and mechanical elements - such as the vehicles that carried them around the snowy Antarctic.
4. Get your work out there. That is what I'm trying to do now . . . but I liked the way he stressed getting your work out, submit it over and over, don't leave it sitting on your hard drive.
5. And he talked about being a good "businessman." Yes, the fun part is going out there and taking the photos, but for this to work as a business you have to make your submissions and do your paperwork.

I also felt like I had a trip around the world in one hour - undersea photos, African photos, Churchhill polar bear photos. His work is amazing and he has published lots of books.

Another aspect that I really appreciated was when he talked about taking people on tours, he stressed the importance of helping the other people get their shots. He may get some good shots on his group trips, but he wants the people he is teaching to be his top priority.

The Summit is off to a good start!

No comments: