Sunday, October 29, 2006

Sensory Saturation

So far today 43 emails, yesterday 45 emails on my .mac email account. I signed up a month or so ago to the TEXBIRDs list serve. I also signed up for three stock photography list serves. While I am enjoying hearing about the various bird sightings all over Texas, I also am finding it frustrating. I am interested in many of these sightings. Reading about them makes me want to go and see them. Two are actually near my area - the Red Phalarope is up near Killeen, and there are mountain plovers near Lake Granger. The mountain plovers come every year. The Red Phalarope is way out of his normal range, possibly a lifetime opportunity for me to see it.

This is my first year to read the TexBird list serve during fall migration. While we were in Illinois, there were sightings of flocks of sandhill cranes flying over Pflugerville - so near where I live. AAAAACK! I was in Illinois!

And right now, much as I want to go see the Red Phalarope, I've got deadlines. Deadlines are a good thing. They mean that I am getting photography out where other people can see the photos. If my work is accepted, it adds to my resume. It is definitely what I need to be doing right now. But I feel pulled in many directions at once.

But that part of me that is interested in EVERYTHING has some unfulfilled yearnings at this point. Yes, I do get to do so many things, I should be content. But this stop at home is a short one. Too many things are "calling" me, needing attention. Normal housework, clutter, photography submissions, laundry, new photo shoots, bill paying, scheduling doctor visits, birdwatching in my own yard, exercise, etc.

In addition to the emails from TEXBIRDS are stock photography listserves . I think the 10% rule might apply here - 10% is worth reading, the rest just consumes time. Plus, personalities and issues get thrown in. And there is a lot of turmoil in the stock world as the royalty free images and the ultra cheap microstock images dry up money that many photographers were used to receiving from their licensed, rights managed images. People get angry and vocal when their livelihoods are threatened.

Thrown into the mix of my email are actual letters from family and friends. I don't want to miss those. And, I get a small number of "forwards." Some of those are worth reading, some I've seen before. I do a quick glance, and of course, compulsively save everything. I don't forward much these days. If I do forward, it means I thought it unique and worth someone's time to read.

To keep up with world events, I read my news on My Yahoo. I get the top stories from Reuters, Reuters Business, Reuters US Market, Reuters entertainment, AP Entertainment, E! Online, Reuters TV, AP Top Stories, Denver Rocky Mountain News, the Los Angeles Times (from when Debra lived in California), Most Emailed News Stories, Most Viewed News Stories, USATODAY.com:Opinions, Stock Market Quotes, Weather, and Ski Snow Reports. While I don't read everypost, I do scan the list a couple of times a day.

I have my photography sites as well. I check on the Forum Posts at the Digital Image Cafe and check out the recent photos at the Critique Corner there. I've dropped back but DPChallenge also has an active forum. That is what got me started looking into stock photography as one of the pieces in a photography business. Plus, since I've been participating at the online photo sites for almost four years, I've got friends there. I want to know "what's up?" And I continue to get new information that helps me with my photography. And I know that some of these friends, acquaintances, and strangers read my blog.

I forgot to mention that I use Google Analytics to find out how many people visit my blog and website each day. The maps as to where my visitors come from is both gratifying and humbling - somehow, people all over the globe have found my blog. Some of the dots on the map I can make a guess as to who it is. Many I have no clue. Somehow, I got mentioned at Photo Malaysia - I never found the link. I got a lot of hits to both my blog and website.


Lots of useful information, sometimes lots of fun, but on some days a bit much to process. When I went to the mall yesterday to buy software to upgrade my Photoshop CS, I knew I was a little sensory saturated. Too many stores, too many people, too much to see and process. Some days I love the mall, yesterday I was tired. I got my software, stopped for some Dippin' Dot ice cream, and left.

Perhaps when I've gotten all these submissions out, when we are back home for a longer stretch, I won't feel stretched so thin.

No comments: