Thursday, June 29, 2006

The Gorillas



I could tell that while the zoo would be open until 9:00 p.m. Henry and I were not going to make it for an entire day. The gorillas were my next stop. To my delight, I found an open space - NO GLASS where I could sit, observe, and photograph. This exhibit was the highlight of my day. Once again the value of patient observation paid off. At first, the gorillas that were out, sat conspicuously with their backs toward us. Polite behavior-gorilla style. It is a social no-no among gorillas to stare. I had my camera with my 100-400 lens set up on the tripod. Yes, I had to dodge groups of day camps and child care facilities that would stand right in front of me. But I began to have a feel for what to look for.

There were two "caves" and several gorillas would come and go. Two silverback males came out. I waited, watched, and hoped for photographic opportunities. They came. A female came and sat within my photographic range - shaded, no major light issues. I got a few profile shots where I will attempt to combine two shots so that both the background has detail and the gorilla has detail, one of the problems of shooting at mid-day with full sun and shadows.


Then the fun really began! Two young gorillas began a wrestling match! What a joy to watch as they chased each other, leg wrestled, mock bit each other. These are the kind of action shots that I see that win and place in the major contests. Due to the lighting, I was shooting with a higher ISO than is my first choice. But my initial screening gives me hope that I have some useable shots. I stayed until it was time for the bird show.

No comments: