Friday, July 05, 2013

Fireworks - Old Settler's Park - Round Rock, Texas 2013

We got to the park early with a picnic dinner from Golden Chick. The park was crowded and most parking areas were full. By the time we got settled, I feared I was too far away from where I had seen the setup to get what I wanted. But it was fun to watch other families get settled in with their chairs, blankets, and toys for the kids. I especially enjoyed the toddlers, imagining my grandson, Tobyn, exploring his world next year.



4 sec, f/16, ISO 100    

Doing one's homework in advance is usually a good thing, but since I had been to the Old Settler's Park fireworks before, I didn't look it up.  But as it got later I checked Round Rock's website. The fireworks weren't scheduled to begin until 10:00 p.m.  They were going to synchronize with the Dell Diamond fireworks after the ball game.  

When they started, I was ecstatic, because I had a wonderful position.  When zoomed out with my 28-105 lens the bursts overflowed my frame. 


4 sec, f/16, ISO 100


I had to zoom out to get the full displays.  


3.2 Sec, f/22, ISO 100


My experiments with focus blur did not do as well.  My usual technique for photographing fireworks is to use a distant light as my focus with autofocus. Then I change it to manual focus so that I don't have to wait for the camera to refocus on moving fireworks for each shot.  Trying to do the focus blurs from  I mentioned yesterday from PopPhoto.com  required leaving the camera on autofocus and then trying to change the focus mid shot when I was only shooting 4 second shots.  I ended up with camera motion which while intriguing did not produce the look I was trying for.

Here are a couple of the shots where I was trying for focus blur. 

3.2 sec, f/22, ISO 100


3.2 Sec, f/22, ISO 100

I tried setting a longer shutter speed for one shot.  I probably should have tried more choices in longer shutter speeds.


13 sec, f/22, ISO 100

But the fireworks were happening too fast.  I didn't want to miss the captures I knew how to do since I had such a good photographic angle this year. So I went back to my standard methodology - fixed focus with manual settings for exposure for consistency.


4 sec, F/16, ISO 100


4 sec, f/16, ISO 100

I did change my exposure by changing my f/stop giving me my best Grand Finale photos.


3.2 sec, f/22, ISO 100


3.2 sec, f/22, ISO 100


3.2 Sec, f/22, ISO 100

Fortunately, the Dell Diamond shoots fireworks after every game.  I should go back and try again for the focus blurs.

No comments: