Friday, December 28, 2007

Christmas Musings #2 - December activities

December is always a busy month. It is easy to get run ragged. I've learned to alternate what I do each year. I try to make it to Pioneer Farm's Candlelight Christmas. But I seem to make it there only every other year. I forgot to check their calendar this year - it was on the first weekend, they had other things planned the other weekends. So I missed it this year. There is a big joint Christmas music evening - where groups of acapella singers from the area Churches of Christ perform. Most years I have not tried to go to that - one more thing to do in a busy month. . . But I've gone the last couple of years and have really enjoyed it. This year I had at least practiced Handel's Hallelujah Chorus. I could sing "most" of it . . .

In Austin, there is the Zilker tree, the Festival of the Lights, 37th street, Burnet's Main Street Bethlehem, Marble Fall's Christmas Walkway of Lights, the Nutcracker Ballet . . . etc. And farther away, Galveston's Dickens on the Strand.

Many things to do and enjoy at Christmas time . . . but you can't reasonably do all of them each year . . .

My advice for next year's planning . . . pick a few things, choose at least one new thing, and then don't fret about what you did not get to do this year.

No comments: