Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Christmas Music

I drove to Dallas last night because I'm attending a Photoshop Workshop put on by NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals.) I turned on the radio to find Christmas music. One of the things that occurred to me as I was listening was how pretty most Christmas music is. And while there are old familiar songs, there are new ones as well. Some songs take awhile to get used to. I remember the first time I heard "Rocking around the Christmas Tree." I don't remember liking it . . . but you get used to it and it grows on you. Every genre - classical, country, rock, big band, accappella, and, of course, Christian has music for this time of year. I need to get copies of the Andean flutes that I hear in San Antonio. (After I posted this blog, I went online and ordered the two Christmas albums-you can hear a sample on the website and their blog. )

Saturday night I was part of a group that sang in a "Celebration of the Season." Singing groups from churches of Christ all over the Austin area got together for a night of music. Our group sang a new song written my M.L. Daniels, "Christ was born." I'll try to get permission to post the link - it is a beautiful new song. And one of the groups sang a Christmas song by our Russian composer in St. Petersburg. It ended as we sang the Hallelujah Chorus. (For some of us it was attempted to sing - I know parts of it, but parts of it I can't quite sing properly . . . yet - I need to learn it. I WILL learn it!)

But I love the bells, the orchestrals, and the acappella music. It a part of this special time of year!

This coming Sunday, the 16th, our congregation will have its annual celebration. The kids have been working hard on their pageant, volunteers have worked on sets and costumes, our chorus is ready, and there will be Christmas treats and a Yule log afterward. I have many special memories singing Christmas carols around that fire. Being in Central Texas, sometimes it is cold that night and sometimes not . . . but it is still fun.

If you live in the Austin area, the fun starts Sunday, 6:00 p.m.at Brentwood Oaks Church of Christ on North Lamar. You won't be sorry you came!

1 comment:

mybillcrider said...

Thanks for the link to the Andean fusion music. I enjoy that stuff. When we were in Peru, I bought a CD by some local group in Lima. They did "El Condor Pasa" pretty much the way this group does. I guess all those groups do that song. Always makes me think of Paul Simon.