Friday, April 27, 2007

Turkey Gobbles

When you travel in an RV, you wake up in the same bed every morning. However, the sounds around you are different for each location. I know I'm at Lake Tanglewood when I wake up to the sound of turkey gobbles right outside the RV. Wild turkeys roost in the trees of a ravine by my sister-in-law's house. They pass right behind the RV on their way to forage each morning.

I do my "morning time" in the front seat of the RV. I enjoyed a new set of morning bird visitors yesterday. There is a pair of western kingbirds. After having been in the valley, I had to double check and make sure which kingbirds I was seeing - there are such subtle differences. But I'm pretty sure I'm seeing western kingbirds.

I was delighted to see a Bullocks Oriole - so much brighter orange than the photos in the book. A couple of hermit thrush bounce along the ground in the brush and grass in front of the RV. And I was delighted to see a blue gray gnatcatcher working the cedar tree in front of me.

As I went to the jeep to go over to my mother-in-laws, I could hear a Carolina wren.

And my scripture for the day: Psalm 96

Sing to the Lord a new song
sing to the Lord all the earth
Sing to the Lord, praise His name . . .

Let the heavens rejoice,
Let the earth be glad:
Let the sea resound,
and all that is in it;
Let the fields be jubiliant,
and everything in them.
Then all the trees of the forest will sing for joy . . .

No comments: