Monday, June 11, 2007

The Grizzly Jam



The first part of the day was spent doing mundane tasks - cleaning the kitchen, stowing enough stuff so we could move the RV to replenish the propane, and catching up on rest with the traditional Sunday afternoon nap.

We finally headed out around 5:00. I did not plan to go too far today. But if you're in Yellowstone you do need to cruise around everyday to check out where the animals are today.

We went up the Chittendon Road on Mount Washburn hoping for a look at the grizzly and cubs there. No luck. I saw a red tailed hawk sitting on a cliff over the road - nice view. We went on to the overlooks on the north side of Mount Washburn. I heard about a red tailed hawk nest, but not much else going on - a couple of buffalo. Thanks to a photographer I met at the owl nest I was able to see the red tailed hawk chick in its nest. I think the nest is a little far for my lens, but I may try to photograph it at least once.

We were heading back in the direction of home, when we saw the beginnings of a jam in front of us. Grizzly! And near the road! I've been riding around the park with my 100-400 lens in my lap just for moments like this. I quickly check the settings and begin to photograph from the safety of the jeep. He's close! As he moves on past us, I get out of the jeep. Henry kindly brings me the tripod. I keep hoping he'll move out from behind the tall grass and give me some good views. He's busy digging up the rocks looking for grubs. He's injured - scar on his face and he seems to walk on one elbow.



The crowd is growing. The bear is slowly moving toward the parking lot where lots of people are standing with their kids and cameras. There are quite a few people that are standing near the bathroom. Henry wonders how many people can fit in one of those pit potty rooms. For some that will be the quickest safe haven should the bear decide to charge.





Eventually the first park personel arrives and begins moving the people around. The next ranger arrives and quickly and authoritatively tells the people near the bathroom to go back to their cars. He reminds those of us behind the bear that if the bear changes direction we need to return to our cars. Later he reminds us that all of us are closer than the 100 yards mandated by federal law for the park.







We stayed for about an hour from when we first sited the bear. I suspect these will be my best bear photos. Due to the injury I'm not sure these will be prize winning. But they are certainly my best bear photos!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Wow, that is cool, but I would be scared.