Monday, January 01, 2007

Puppy Love

I was in the doldrums. Taking down Christmas is really not much fun. I think I've always had problems saying "goodbye." As a child when we would leave the mountains, I would turn around in the car and watch them until they were totally out of sight. I savored my senior year of high school knowing that part of my life was coming to an end. I've saved my children's toys and school papers (my attic is full.) Removing the ornaments from the tree and putting the decorations up for the year is an acknowledgement that the festivities are over. But part of me wants to hang on to the festive Christmas "magic."

I was determined to get the job done before we leave on Tuesday. Taking down Christmas at New Year's is bad enough. Taking down Christmas in February (and coming home to Christmas still up in February) is the pits. Thomas had left to go back to Dallas. Yep, I had the doldrums.

Debra called. They were up in Dallas visiting with Jonathan's family. Would I go check on the puppies? You betcha! Nothing like the unconditional love of puppies to brighten the day. Being grandmother to puppies is a foretaste of what being a grandmother will be like. You get to love on these puppies and then send them home. But I also find myself worrying that my house is not "puppy proof." What will they get into? Will they get hurt? I feel the irrational need to watch them every minute. They are kennel trained, so we are alternating with playing with them and putting them back in the kennel so we can still get things done.

But when they are out, they are so fun to watch as they chase each other in circles around my house. And they are so fast! And best of all, are those wonderful puppy "kisses."

No comments: