Thursday, January 18, 2007

Portfolio Reviews

This is my third Summit. Each time I have brought my work to have professional people examine and evaluate it. My first year was a little overwhelming when I realized the calibre people here. And my work was lacking - it was not up to professional standards. Last year, my reviews went better, my work was better and I left the Summit pleased that I was moving in the right direction.

So far I've had three reviews. While it is MUCH more fun when the reviewer genuinely likes your work, I also tried to pay attention the the reviewer who focused on the things that did need improvement. Some of it was similar to information I had received before. Most of my animal shots were closeups that did not show the environment. I had pulled some shots that did a better job of that, but the bottom line - I need a mix of shots. I think I prefer the close, more intimate views of wildlife, but I need to have both in the portfolio. Also I was reminded of presentation . . . I had grouped like shots together - the ocean shots, the fall foliage shots. But from his perspective that made all my shots run together. I also tend to put multiple shots of the same thing . . .this reviewer would have preferred fewer shots - choosing just one in many instances.

Another thing that was brought up had to do with manipulating photos. With photoshop it is SO easy to clone out distracting elements and create "better" photography. However, it is still controversial. One reviewer told me that some magazines will not buy your work - even if you have not manipulated the things you send them, when they know that you do submit work elsewhere that has been manipulated. The keynote speaker, Rick Sammon, seems to be an exception. Or it may have been the bias of the reviewer. I think I have to do the best work I know how to do - and sometimes that means manipulation. BUT, I will make every effort to let the buyers of my work be aware of what has been done to the photo.

The nice thing about going to several different people, it makes it easier to handle the reviewers that don't really like your work. Photography is artistic. There are lots of styles and philosophies. What will please one person may not please the next one.

I have more reviews tomorrow. I had arranged my books especially for the reviewers today. I have different reviewers tomorrow - so I need to rearrange. I think I'll add some shots that I had removed.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

No comments: