Wednesday, July 02, 2008

The Road to Boreas Pass

I like to cruise areas to see what wildlife or scenery I can find to photograph. Sometimes, it pays to go back to an area several times. Boreas Pass was closed the first time we tried to take it this trip. We tried again a couple of days ago and I was pleased to see more birds along this road.

As we neared the top of the pass, I saw some bright yellow birds. I pulled out the big Sigma lens and waited. They flitted from branch to branch in the willow thicket - no clear shot - too many branches. I waited. One of them landed briefly on a pine tree in front of me - I'm too slow - he was off before I got much of a shot. I waited some more, moving periodically hoping to get a better shot. Finally, finally, one landed on a different pine tree. It was only after I got home to check the shots on the computer, I had ONE good shot of what turned out to be Wilson Warblers.




I like to cruise areas to see what wildlife or scenery I can find to photograph. Sometimes, it pays to go back to an area several times. Boreas Pass was closed the first time we tried to take it this trip. We tried again a couple of days ago and I was pleased to see more birds along this road.

On the first day, we had seen a group of birds that I was hoping were Red Crossbills. But we were never close enough to get much of a look through the binoculars. The second day farther up the mountain we saw them again. I pulled out the big lens and had a chance for a couple of shots. They were eating something on the road, I'm guessing getting their grit quota for the day. Coloration was right for crossbills, but the beaks were not, so I think these are pine grosbeaks.



The yellow coloration marks the juveniles.



Another good reason to cruise backroads - we also saw several foxes and to our delight a black bear down near the parking lot where the houses begin.

No comments: