Thursday, May 22, 2008

Molly the Horse

When one reads the news on the internet, some of it is good, but a lot is bad. I've been reading the Yellowstone Newspaper and the last several months it has had the sad stories about the death of so many bison, the wolf delisting and the subsequent kills, and the guns in the National Parks issue. I read about the Border Wall and the problems and damage it will cause. There's global warming and what it may do to the polar bears. Some of the news stories from Africa deal with problems I can't fix. I look at the political candidates in this election year and I don't find any that really inspire me that they will really make a difference in some of the things that I think are important. When I get focused too heavily on the sad or bad things going on around me, I can end up depressed, tired, and drained. While it is important to stay aware of what is going on in the world around us so that we can do things that will make a positive difference, it is also important to remember the good things that are also going on around us.

Paul in Philippians 4 has some words that are wise for me to remember: "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things." (New International Version) The New Living Translation words it even better: "Fix your thoughts on what is true , and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise."

My friend, Bettye (who writes a great blog, Secrets of a Lazy Trainer) sent me this great story about Molly the horse.

A Google search gave me Snopes account that verifies the truth of the story as well as some other links such as the one above from the LSU site.

If you need some good, encouraging, uplifting news, take time to read about Molly, an equine survivor from Hurricane Katrina.

No comments: