Friday, September 23, 2005

God's Power - Hurricane Rita

I've been using the One Year Bible as a source for personal devotions. Whereas I may not read from it every day, it is a part of my routine. I have been amazed at how sometimes the scriptures I see fit what is going on in the world around me and how they give me inspiration for prayer.

Yesterday as Hurricane Rita built in power over the Gulf my scripture was from Psalm 65. The verse that caught my attention and that I included as part of my prayer said:

You answer us with awesome deeds of righteousness . . . . .
who stilled the roaring of the seas, the roaring of their waves, and the turmoil of the nations.

I prayed that God would stillk the roaring waves of the hurricane driven seas.

While the hurricane grew in power to one of the strongest Category 5 storms on record, it moved over cooler waters. Wind speed went from 175 mph now to 140 mph (Thursday at 11:00 p.m.) God has also sent a cold front that is redirecting the storm away from the most densely populated areas. While I am sure that there will be property damage and some loss of life, I am praying tonight using vs 7 as my scripture base:

Lord God of Heaven, still the roaring of the seas, the roaring of the waves. Please minimize the both the property loss and the loss of life from this storm.

3 comments:

cybeRanger said...

May God bless you and protect you.

Anonymous said...

The verse "where 2 or more are gathered in my Name" is one that comes to my mind. Perhaps 2 or more of us gathered by the internet, using your verse as a base, may serve to reafirm the power of prayer.
We know prayer can help the sick when others pray for them even if they themselves aren't aware of the prayers being offered.
Just as power in the physical world can be increased by the joining of two people, two horses, two tractors or more maybe the power of prayer increases by those of us who join together to pray for a common cause.
It's a power we too often ignore to our peril.

Karen said...

I have also found myself thinking about all the damage from the hurricanes, and in that I do see a blessing. Not to say that God brings these storms and makes them hurt and destroy. But the blessing is that the people affected have an awesome opportunity to simplify their lives and take it back to square one. While it is devastating to lose everything, sometimes we all get too attached to our stuff here on this earth. Just food for thought.