Monday, June 27, 2005

About Me




I was born in Texas and have lived there all my life. I started out in the Panhandle, an area known for its flat terrain. We had relatives in Colorado, so early in my life I developed a deep love for rough mountain terrain and beautiful, babbling mountain streams.

When I got married, I moved to the Austin area and attended the University of Texas with a major in home economics - now called human ecology. I worked for several years at Dillards starting in fabrics and moving to the draperies and linen department. Later I worked a few years for the state finishing as a computer operator. When the children came along, I chose to stay home as a full time mom. In their early years, I worked several times at "Mother's Day Out". When the kids hit school, I got involved with both Cub Scouts and Girl Scouts and of course the various school parent organizations. We moved to Hutto, a small farming community outside Austin, when Thomas was entering second grade. In a small community, it was important to bring activities to the town - so I was one of several who helped get Cub Scouts started and I also got Girl Scouts going again. Troop meetings, Pack Meetings, campouts, and day camps are some of my fondest memories.

We've always been active at church. I started working with children when I was sixteen. When I went off to college, both at West Texas State in Canyon and then at the University of Texas, I was always teaching Sunday school or Wednesday nights. When my children arrived, I began attending Ladies' Bible Class during the week. I began teaching - and at best guess I've probably taught for between 10 and 15 years between the two churches we were affiliated with over the last 25 years. I've also organized several women's retreats and been one of the speakers at several.

When my youngest child, Debra, graduated from high school and headed off to college in California, my husband and I had a chance to travel. So I joke that when my last child left the nest, we did too! Our travels over the last three years have taken us criss cross across the United States several times. We have gone to many of the big science fiction and fantasy events. While I have always been interested in photography, I have begun to pursue it in a much more serious fashion. Currently I am trying to move from the world of amateur photography to professional photography. Some of my shots are close, but I can still come back from a photoshoot and browse my photos and realize that I can't consistently deliver the quality of photos that I desire. But I get enough good ones (and they do win some prizes now and then) that I get rewarded enough to keep trying. Plus, the real joy I get from being outside experiencing the beauty and serenity of God's natural world is very fulfilling to me. It also helps keep me active. I find that I am willing to hike several miles to get to the sand dunes at Death Valley just to get that sunset photo. When I return to the car, I am usually tired, sore, but also filled with awe at the intricacies that I have seen and experienced.

I have also been blessed with many friendships over my life. I treasure each and every one of them. Each of my friends enriches my life by exposing me to their different interests, their unique wisdom, and their sense of humor. I have been very blessed to have friends that have not only shared the exhiliarating wonderful moments of life, but I have always had people who were there when times were dark and difficult. God always provided someone who could give me a word of comfort or wisdom to get through those days.

Enough about me for now. I'm sure a lot of my story will come out as I experiment with this blog.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I saw that picture on your photo website - it is a very good one. Welcome to the world of blogging. Be careful - it can become addicting. :-)