Saturday, March 24, 2007

My Bluebirds

I am excited . . . the bluebirds are back. I definitely have a pair and they are definitely using one of my nesting boxes. I had a pair last year, but it seemed to me they were only around for a few weeks. I could not determine whether or not the nesting had been successful or if something happened that made them leave. So I am really excited that I have another pair.

It was two years ago that I put up two bluebird boxes. The people at the Wildbird Store in Round Rock assured me that we really did have bluebirds in the area. I was sceptical because I had never seen any around here. But I put up the two boxes, with snake baffles and feeding station and hoped. The first year, they were very lonely boxes. The suet treats turned into melted, dried, solid lumps.

After seeing the pair last year, to Debra's disgust I bought mealy worms and stored them in the refrigerator. After seeing them his year, I've taken some of the suet that I store in the freezer and I've put small quantities in the little feeder tray. I've seen that some other birds have found the suet, but I have not seen the bluebirds eat any yet. I have seen one of the bluebirds chase off one of the mockingbirds from the house that is currently unoccupied. It is time to make my run to the birdseed store - I'll get bluebird treats and some mealy worms.

Last year, I was amazed at how active the male was in defending the territory around his birdhouse from all comers. This morning seemed quiet, the bluebirds are spending a lot of time in the box. But I waited patiently and have had some good views through my binoculars. They are SO pretty - bright beautiful blue, russet breast, cream belly . . . They are by far the prettiest birds in my yard.

The bluebirds really give me a wonderful feeling of satisfaction. First, they are so beautiful. But they also give me a feeling of personal success. They are in my yard because I put up boxes for them. I have no control over whether their nest is successful or whether they decide to stay permanently. But I've attracted them two years now.

I would love to have reason to set out more bluebird boxes!

1 comment:

Chris said...

you will need to give us a picture of your birds!